It has been used as a muscle building as well as anti-aging supplement. It is the only prohormone supplement not affected by the 2005 FDA ban. It is also among the most controversial supplements out there. Before we go into DHEA supplements reviews, let us take a look at a few things you may want to know about this supplement.
DHEA has received bad rap in the past but it is, it appears, beginning to make a come-back.
What Is DHEA?
DHEA is an acronym for dehydroepiandrosterone (phew, glad they shortened it). It is a natural hormone produced by the body in the adrenal glands. It is considered the “mother” hormone as it is a precursor to testosterone, progesterone and estrogen. The body’s level of DHEA levels peak during early twenties and then progressively decrease with advancing age.
Possible DHEA Benefits
DHEA supplements have been used for the following:
- Enhance muscle mass and strength. One study showed that DHEA may enhance strength and muscle mass in elderly men and women.
- Improve metabolism
- Improve energy
DHEA Side Effects
According to WebMD, DHEA is “possibly safe” for most people. However, prohormones including DHEA, can cause similar side effects as anabolic steroids. These may include acne, hair loss, and facial hair growth in women.
DHEA Supplements Reviews: Top-Selling Products
NOW 7-Keto Weight Management
The manufacturers of 7-Keto claim that this supplement is a naturally occurring metabolite of DHEA, and that it provides you with the benefits without the associated side effects. If you can get the benefits without the side effects… well, this is indeed a good thing.
7-Keto claims the following benefits:
- Promotes thermogenesis, which may result in fat loss
- Formulated for use vegetarians
- 100mg soft-gels; a higher dose typically other types, so you don’t have to take multiple pills
Ultimate Nutrition DHEA
Does Oral DHEA Supplementation Work?
Numerous studies, some of which are listed in the references above, suggest that oral DHEA works quite efficiently. Intake of as small an amount as 100 mg DHEA each day may result in remarkable increase in both physical and psychological well-being support. It may help promote improvements in muscle mass and muscle strength.
 WebMD: DHEA
* None of the statements on this page have been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.