Today, there are virtually all kinds of green tea extracts and preparations you can think of. Indeed, some claims about the health benefits of green tea have caused a lot of interest. What are these benefits? What are the best green tea supplements?
What Is Green Tea?
Green tea and black tea are derived from the same plant, known as camellia sinensis. The difference is in the processing. Green tea is made from leaves that undergone minimal oxidation, but black tea the leaves are allowed to oxidize.
Health Benefits Of Green Tea
Research is still underway on the health benefits of green tea. But it is linked to a number of benefits including:
- Anti-cancer properties: Green tea contains high concentrations of powerful antioxidants, called polyphenols, that may help fight free radicals (which are linked to cancer and aging).
- Weight loss benefit: Green tea may help increase the body’s normal metabolism rate as well as curb appetite, thus giving it weight loss benefit.
- Energy boosting: Virtually everybody wants more energy, whether for workouts or to simply get more done in the day. One study showed that green tea extracts may help boost exercise endurance by as much as 25% while using fat for energy. This offers the added potential benefit of fat loss.
Top Green Tea Brands
Life Extension Mega Green Tea Extract
Containing a whopping 725mg of green tea per serving, Life Extension offers two versions of their popular Mega Green Tea Extract, lightly caffeinated or decaffeinated.
And although this product is intended for those leading a vegetarian lifestyle, non-vegetarians can benefit from taking it as well. If you are looking for a good natural green tea supplement, this is it. All ingredients including binders are vegetable-based.
This product contains 725mg green tea extract (camellia sinensis), 98% polyphenols and 45% EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate also known as epigallocatechin-3-gallate), a powerful anti-oxidant.
Mega green tea benefits include:
- Helping boost metabolism and curb appetite, and therefore may help you lose weight.
- Helping cleanse your system, get rid of cancer-causing free radicals as well as slow aging.
- Natural, vegetable-based ingredients
Contains no gluten, wheat, milk, egg, fish, shellfish, peanuts, soybeans, tree nuts, yeast, sugar, artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, or preservatives.
Comes in 100 capsules bottle.
NOW Green Tea Extract
At 400mg per serving, Now Green Tea Extract offers a quick and convenient way to get the benefits of green tea in an easy to swallow capsule. This product does not contain as much of the main ingredient as one above, but it is a high quality product. This product contains:
- 400mg green tea extract (Camellia sinensis): min. 40% Catechins and 60% Polyphenols
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
Contains no gluten, sugar, salt, egg, starch, yeast, wheat, soy, milk, shellfish or preservatives.
Comes in 100 capsules bottle.
 Green Tea: It’s Hidden Benefit, page 17 (Amazon)