When looking for nutritional supplements, we often overlook the most important part of the body, the brain. A healthy brain is critical to your quality of life. You also want to maintain it for as long as possible, and avoid age-related decline. Brain and memory supplements may help.
Improving Your Memory And Brain Function With Supplements
Your brain determines your rate of success at virtually anything. From sports to studies to everyday decision-making and anything outside or in-between, your ability to think and remember is critical to success. So is the speed and efficiency of your brain.
Just like your muscles, your brain can benefit from certain nutrients to work better.
Certain natural foods and herbs may not only boost brain function and health, but may also delay or prevent degeneration associated with aging such as Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
Other conditions that may benefit from use of brain boosting supplements include attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), depression, anxiety, and even schizophrenia. However, we do not recommend replacing medications with supplements. Working with a healthcare professional cannot be overemphasized if you have a health condition.
Lack of certain dietary nutrients has been linked to the development of mental disorders. Nourishing your brain with the right nutrients is therefore crucial, for short-term as well as long term health.
While there is no magic pill to turn you into an instant Einstein, certain natural foods and compounds have been shown to improve cognitive function and memory.
Top Brain And Memory Supplements
1. BioTrust™ Brain Bright
Recharge your brain, improve focus and memory, and sharpen your mind. This is what BioTrust, the makers of Brain Bright, claim. But does it work? If so how does it work?
Brain Bright claims to help improve your brain function in 3 ways:
- Provide your brain with neuro-nutrients to nourish it.
- Improve blood flow to the brain, therefore improving delivery of nutrients.
- Protect your brain from potentially damaging toxins.
Active Ingredients In Brain Bright
BioTrust is a company that takes pride in using top-quality, premium ingredients, as well as going the extra mile in ensuring an effective finished product. Unlike most brain supplements out there that contain one major active ingredient, Brain Bright contains several powerful ingredients working in synergy.
- USP-grade ginkgo biloba: Shown to improve memory and blood flow to the brain. BioTrust uses top-quality ginkgo biloba which has been shown to safe for most people, as well as effective.
- Rhodiola rosea: Claimed to reduce mental fatigue while enhancing memory and focus. However, most evidence on this is largely anecdotal.
- L-Theanine: extracted from exotic tea leaves native to eastern Asia, this may have positive effects on mental alertness..
- N-Acetyl Tyrosine: This is an amino acid that may help recharge neurotransmitters during times of mental stress, thus improving mental performance.
- Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALC): Found to potentially improve memory as well as prevent oxidative damage in older adults.
Honestly, we cannot say that Brain Bright will work for you. The only way to find out is by testing it out yourself and giving it a fair chance to work. However, the product contains a number of nutrients that your body needs and therefore may still benefit from.
2. Xtend-Life™ Neuro-Natural
1. Neuro-Natural General: designed for brain support and healthy function.
2. Neuro-Natural Recall: designed to help improve concentration and support short-term memory recall.
So, how does Xtend-Life Neuro-Natural work?
Neuro-Natural is said to contain a synergistic combination of natural ingredients that may support improved sense of well-being, memory recall, and even sleep patterns. The supplement may also support neuroplasty, your brain’s ability to keep its cells flexible as well as laying down new ones.
Active Ingredients In Neuro-Natural
Xtend-Life is another company that prides itself in using only top quality ingredients in all their products. Neuro-Natural contains:
- Phosphatidyl L-Serine: Also referred to as phosphatidylserine, this may improve memory and cognitive function. It has also been used as an ingredient in for treatment of dementia.
- L-Carnosine: Also referred to simply as carnosine, this amino acid found in muscle and brain tissues..
- Bacopa monnieri: May increase certain brain chemicals that are involved in thinking, learning, and memory..
- Gotu kola: Also used in traditional Chinese (and Ayurvedic) medicine, gotu kola may stave off effects of aging by improving memory, as well as reducing nerve degeneration among other benefits.
- Resveratrol: Naturally found in grapes, blueberries, raspberries, and mulberries,, resveratrol may improve memory performance in older adults.
Other ingredients of Neuro-Natural include Huperzine A, Vinpocetine, SAMe, plus a number vitamins and minerals. May be worth trying, which is still the best way to find out if a product will work for you (since every individual is different).
While the above supplements may support brain and memory function, they may work better when used together with other nutrients that support cognitive function and wellness. These include omega-3, and vitamins and minerals.
 WebMD: TYROSINE
 WebMD: BACOPA
* None of the statements on this page have been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult a healthcare professional before starting a new supplement especially if you are pregnant, nursing, have known health condition or on medications.