The health aisle in virtually any local health, grocery store or pharmacy is littered with protein bars. But there is more to these than meets the eye. Some so-called “health bars” will not do much good for your waistline. In fact, they can wreck havoc to it. So, what are the best protein bars on the market?
The Benefits of Protein Bars
Protein bars are popular. This is because they have become the snack of choice for many health-conscious people. Some benefits of protein bars include:
- They are easy to carry around and can be eaten virtually anywhere and at any time. This fits well with our modern ever-busy lifestyle.
- They make a convenient snack between meals, post workout meal or meal replacement.
- They are relatively cheap and will probably cost you the same as a fast-food meal, but of course healthier.
This is presuming you get a good quality bar. Below, we offer suggestions on the best protein bars we have found, but ultimately the decision is still yours.
The Problems With Protein and Meal Replacement Bars
As with any other man-made food product, protein bars are not created equal. Problems with some protein and meal replacement bars out there include:
- Awful taste: If it doesn’t taste great chances are, you won’t eat it. And so it will do you no good.
- Synthetic ingredients: Some “health bars” unhealthy and potentially harmful sweeteners including high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, and saccharin. Others contain food colors that, while making them look appetizing, add no real nutritional value and may not be healthy.
- Bad protein sources: In order to cut costs, some supplements manufactures use cheap, often denatured proteins that not only do you no good, but can upset your stomach as well as cause other problems.
- Fat content: Some health bars contain high levels of saturated fats and trans fats.
The above are just a few, not all, of the issues with many protein and meal replacement bars out there. And the reason to go only for premium quality protein bars.
Best Protein Bars
Finding a protein bar that tastes great, contains top quality ingredients and without synthetic ingredients, trans fats and the like, is not easy. But we have found one:
BioTrust Organic Protein Bars
- Certified organic: These bars are made with certified organic ingredients. This means no hormones, antibiotics and other potentially harmful ingredients.
- Whey protein based: While most protein bars are made using cheap protein sources such as whey and gelatin (from cow hooves!), BioTrust protein bars are perhaps the first and only bars to use organic whey protein.
- 20 grams of protein: You get 20 grams of high quality protein from each bar.
- Awesome taste: The taste and texture are something you may want to try.
This product is not sold in stores. Comes with 1 year 100% money back guarantee.
* None of the statements on this page have been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult a healthcare professional before starting a new supplement especially if you are pregnant, nursing, have known health condition or on medications.