Are you seeking the best krill oil supplements? On this page we shall attempt to offer few insights about this ultra-popular nutritional supplement, as well as suggestions on the best krill oil products we have come across. Ultimately, the final decision is still yours.
What Is Krill Oil?
Krill oil is krill, a type of small shrimp-like crustacean that are found in all world oceans. Krill is the whale’s favorite food, which they (whales) eat by the ton. They are also used as human food in some parts of the world.
Being rich in omega-3 fatty acids, particularly the important DHA and EPA (docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid), the supplements industry now use them to make omega-3 supplements.
Benefits of Omega-3
The benefits of omega-3 essential fatty acids are well known, researched and documented. They include:
- Improved cardiovascular system, including heart health
- Improved brain function
- Anti-inflammatory function: good for joint health
- Anti-aging properties
Krill Oil Vs. Fish Oil
While fish oil has dominated the omega-3 supplements industry, krill oil is hot on its heels. In fact, some experts say krill oil may even be the superior one of the two. Some reasons offered include:
- Absorption: Krill oil is more readily absorbed in the body than fish oil. This may be attributed the presence of phospholipids which aid absorption. You therefore need to take less krill oil than fish oil for similar effects.
- Antioxidant levels: Krill oil has higher antioxidant levels than fish oil. These include astaxanthin, vitamin A, and vitamin E. Astaxanthin is a carotenoid that provides krill and fish such as salmon their pink color. This is one of the reasons to avoid “color added” farm-raised fish (the added color offers no health benefit).
- No fishy aftertaste: Since it absorbs better, krill oil has virtually no fish after-taste especially if you take a good quality product.
It is worth mentioning that krill is more sustainable than fish. Omega-3-rich fish are over-harvesting is great cause for concern.
Krill Oil Side Effects
Like fish oil, krill oil has blood-thinning properties. Those on blood-thinning medications should therefore consult a doctor before taking supplements.
You should also avoid krill oil if you are allergic to seafood and/or shellfish.
Top Krill Oil Supplements
Finding the best krill oil supplements can be a challenge as some manufacturer take advantage of labeling loopholes to trick you. You should look at EPA and DHA content, omega-3 amounts and purity among other things. So far we have found one top quality product:
BioTrust OmegaKrill 5X™
This product is krill oil and fish oil combo. While both types of fatty acids have their benefits, you could not find both from one pill until OmegaKrill 5X came along. As would be expected, there will soon be many copycat products. However, what the copycats will not be able to duplicate is the quality. This product is not just another omega-3 supplement.
You see, the makers of OmegaKrill 5X studied the weaknesses of the available products and then went to work. The result is a synergy of krill oil and fish oil that also addresses other issues with these type of supplements. These include:
- DHA and EPA concentrations: While krill oil has shown to provide similar health benefits as fish oil, krill oil has much lower DHA and EPA concentrations, the two most important fatty acids. By combining the two, they complement one another.
- Improved absorption: Because krill contains phospholipids that aid absorption, it is better absorbed in the body than fish oil. Getting both together at the same time means high DHA and EPA concentrations (see above) as well as improved absorption of these important nutrients.
- No fish burps: OmegaKrill 5X contains VesiSorb™ a patent pending digestive aid that may further enhance absorption. This may also prevent the fatty acids from being destroyed in the highly acidic environment of the stomach. The result is significantly improved absorption, without the fishy “burps” associated with most omega-3 supplements.
- Cutting-edge processing: This product is processed through a low-heat method that removes impurities and contaminants without damaging the active ingredients. The method, known as Super Critical CO2 Extraction, also potentially allows higher concentrations of DHA and EPA.
Each serving of OmegaKrill 5X contains:
- Fish oil and Krill Oil (from anchovy and Antarctica krill) 788mg
- Total Omega-3 Fatty Acids 488mg
- DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 392mg
- EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) 64mg
- Other fatty acids 24mg
- Astaxanthin 300mcg
Of course, you may want to avoid this product of for any reason you cannot consume fish.
Not sold in stores
The Krill Miracle™
From the pristine waters of the Southern Oceans, that are virtually pollution free, The Krill Miracle™ krill oil supplement is our top quality product of choice. The omega-3 oils are molecularly distilled, which further purifies the oils without killing the active compounds.
The Krill Miracle contains:
- 1000mg Superba™ Krill Oil
- 450mg Phospholipids (these help carry the fatty acids into your system)
- 120mg EPA
- 70mg DHA
- 110?g Astaxanthin
Not sold in stores
* None of the statements on this page have been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult a healthcare professional before starting a new supplement especially if you are pregnant, nursing, have known health condition or on medications.