Frankly, omega-3 supplements are among the most popular health products today. As with virtually anything else, this popularity has led to some crooked companies selling poor quality and even harmful products. So, what are the best omega-3 supplements out there?
First, the best omega-3 supplements are not the big brand, mass-marketing types that you will find in your local grocery store of pharmacy.
Now, before we look at the top omega-3 supplements, let us take a quick look at what actually makes a good omega-3 product:
- Purity: Look for a product sourced from clean waters. Also look for one that is purified to remove mercury, lead, PCBs and other potentially dangerous impurities, via a method known to maintain the active nutrients.
- DHA and EPA Levels: These are the most important Omega-3 fatty acids. DHA is docosahexaenoic acid and EPA is eicosapentaenoic acid. Quick note: Plant sources of omega-3 contain alpha-linolenic acid (ALA).
- Freshness: Rancid omega-3 oils not only taste terrible, they are potentially deadly. The oils should be extracted – at low temperature – as soon as possible after the catch and packed in such a way as to maintain the freshness for as long as possible.
The Best Omega-3 Supplements and Why
Following are the best omega-3 supplements we have found, including the contents and other relevant information. Ultimately, the decision is still yours as to what to buy.
BioTrust OmegaKrill 5X
This an omega-3 supplement with difference, actually several of them. Many people including health and nutrition experts are unable to decide on which is better, fish oil or krill oil. What if you could get both? BioTrust OmegaKrill 5X is a fish oil and krill oil blend.
This supplement offers the strengths of the two top known omega-3 oils. These include:
- Higher DHA and EPA content of fish oil
- Better absorption of krill oil
- Higher astaxanthin concentrations of krill oil
OmegaKrill 5X addresses one major issue with omega-3 supplements, absorption. This is the cause for fish burps and heartburn. Also, stomach acids kill a significant amount of the active ingredients, rendering them worthless.
While some supplements makers attempt to address this via enteric coating, these are typically made of synthetic material. Not good for a “natural” supplement.
Besides containing krill oil, which is better absorbed by the body than fish oil, OmegaKrill 5X it also contains VesiSorb® delivery system. This helps minimize breakdown of the fatty acids by the stomach acids, thus optimizing absorption. This means virtually no fish burps or heartburn.
Each serving of OmegaKrill 5X contains:
- Fish oil and Krill Oil (from anchovy and Antarctica krill) 788mg
- Total Omega-3 Fatty Acids 488mg
- DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 392mg
- EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) 64mg
- Other fatty acids 24mg
- Astaxanthin 300mcg
Yet another difference is the processing method. This is done through a low heat method that removes impurities without compromising the active ingredients, which is done at source to ensure freshness.
The Krill Miracle™
The winner of the war between fish oil and Krill oil is yet to be indisputably declared. Each has its own merits. However, krill oil is immerging as a formidable opponent. This is because it has certain advantages. These include higher absorption rate, little if any fishy aftertaste, and more astaxanthin (an anti-oxidant that also gives krill and certain fish its pink color).
Our krill oil supplement of choice is The Krill Miracle, by Good Health USA. The oil is molecularly distilled to ensure purity. This product contains (per capsule):
- 1000mg Superba™ Krill Oil
- 120mg EPA
- 70mg DHA
No artificial flavors, colors, or additives.
Eskimo-3 Fish Oil
One of the best omega-3 supplements out there is Eskimo-3 from Good Health USA. It is also one of the few to provide a kids’ formula. Studies have shown fish oil to help improve learning skills and even behavior in children.
Eskimo-3 is also available in both capsule and liquid form.
Among advantages claimed include:
- Contamination free
- No fishy aftertaste
- More stable than other leading fish oil products
This one does not claim to be from the “pristine” southern ocean waters. However the makers claim to have put it through over 100 independent published clinical trials. But can you trust the company?
Well, this is one of the pretty few companies that have the GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) stamp on each of the product label. To get this label, the supplements maker must adhere to certain stringent manufacturing guidelines. Their facilities are FDA-registered. This is a company that goes the extra mile to ensure quality.
Each serving of Eskimo-3 contains:
- 1500mg fish oil
- Up to 270mg EPA
- Up to 175mg DHA
No artificial flavors or colorings. No corn, dairy, gluten, salt, sugar, wheat, or yeast.
Xtend-Life Omega-3 / DHA Fish Oil
Perhaps the greatest advantage of this omega-3 supplement is that it contains much higher DHA doses than most supplements out there. Xtend-Life Omega-3 / DHA Fish Oil is sourced from the pristine waters of Southern New Zealand. It is processed through molecular distillation process, soon after the catch to ensure purity and freshness.
Each capsule contains:
- 1000mg fish oil
- 300mg DHA
- 130mg EPA
No artificial colors, flavors or additives.
Certainly among the best omega-3 supplements you can get.
* None of the statements on this page have been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Please consult a healthcare professional before starting a new supplement especially if you are pregnant, nursing, have known health condition or on medications.