That guacamole not only tastes great, it can do you a lot of good. Of course, this is presuming you will ease up on the salt and other not-so-good-for-you stuff. It is the avocado in it that supplies the goodness, so more of this would be… well, a good thing.
Also known as the alligator pear, the avocado is a creamy, pulpy fruit that has been around for centuries. Following are some health benefits of this fruit:
1. Improve cholesterol balance: studies show that avocado may help lower bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol.
2. Promote heart health: Because of its cholesterol and blood pressure-lowering properties avocado can help lower risk of cardiovascular disease.
3. Great source of several vitamins and minerals including vitamin C, E, K, and B-6, niacin, folate, pantothenic acid, magnesium and potassium. In fact, they contain more potassium than bananas.
4. Full of healthy fats that may help in losing weight.
5. They have been found to aid in absorption of vitamins.
6. May help repair joints and ease arthritis symptoms.
7. May help lower risk of certain types of cancer. These include breast, gastric, and oral cancer, as well as leukemia.
8. May aid in fat loss: Since they are high in good fats and fiber, they help you feel fuller faster and longer.
9. Promote eye health and vision: They contain lutein and zeaxanthin, carotenoids that may reduce risk of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
10. Good for skin: They can help reduce skin damage and offer anti-aging benefits. They have been found to offer significant benefits for a skin condition known as psoriasis.