Why You Should Choose Quality Fish Oil For Your Health: And How
Fish oil is one of the most powerful nutritional supplements available. It has a proven track record for helping people to overcome a wide variety of health challenges. Unlike ocean caught salmon, it typically contains low levels of PCBs, mercury, dioxin, and other contaminants.1 High quality fish oil contains virtually no contaminants.
If you want to get the maximum health benefits out of taking fish oil, you need to get the highest quality fish oil you can find.
Keys to Identifying High-Grade Fish Oil
- There are two types of fish oil: oil derived from fish bodies, and oil derived from fish livers.2 The highest grade fish oil is derived from fish bodies. Cod liver oil and other supplements made from fish livers typically contain lower levels of DHA than fish oil derived from fish bodies. As for the controversy around cod liver oil and high levels of vitamin A, this is really not something to worry about in my humble opinion.
- Pay attention to color: the best fish oils are lighter in color than inferior ones. Contaminants and oxidation can make the oil a relatively dark yellow color. The best fish oil has a very light color, and is close to being transparent.
- Look at how long the brand of oil you're interested in has been around. Many of the best fish oil manufacturers have been in business for years. A company with a proven track record is more likely to deliver a high-quality product.
- Taste your oil: high quality fish oil does not have an excessively fishy taste. Your fish oil should have a relatively mild flavor; if it does not, it probably is not very high quality.
The Importance of Taking High Quality Fish Oil Supplements
- Although many nutritional supplements are enormously popular, only a minority of them are effective. It's estimated that only a third of nutritional supplements on the market today are actually capable of producing positive health effects.3 Fish oil is one of them. It is the single most potent nutritional supplement available. If you want to remain in optimum health, nothing will help you achieve that goal more than regular doses of top-notch fish oil.
- Fish oil has a greater range of positive health effects than any other supplement. It can help prevent heart disease, stroke, Alzheimer's disease, and other chronic conditions, many of which are associated with the aging process.4
- Fish oil is a safe way to lower LDL (bad) cholesterol through raising HDL (good) cholesterol. And, unlike most drugs used to lower LDL cholesterol, has virtually no serious side effects.5
This oil is by no means a miracle medicine, but it can help prevent the development of serious health issues down the road. The low cost of even very high grade fish oil makes it a very cost-effective health intervention.
Fish oil performs at least as well as several pharmaceutical drugs, and has a small number of minor side effects that only bother an insignificant minority of users. This oil is among the best nutritional supplements to take on a daily basis to boost health and engender peace of mind.